Monday, March 9, 2009

Updating

For me, blogging has become a very efficient tool. I think I have accurately named this blog. My mind is tuned to thinking of things I can put in this blog, as well as my personal ones. I can really keep track of things I've planned to do and how I had felt about things. As a psychology student, I understand and appreciate the effectiveness of records and data.
Exactly at the end of the previous sentence, a question was born. In further future, as long as the servers hosting blogs and websites are maintained or a record saved offline, there will be so many sources and documentations of how life used to be like. They are sources straight from every normal person (who has access to blogging - gadget and skill-wise), not institution issued publications. Future scholars and historians won't need to infer life from drawings on rocks and precious books with only a few copies. So, technology, especially in terms of text and writing, seem to help people remember a lot.

On the other hand, I have become very dependent on technology to help me remember and stay connected. I have many different outlets to do everything.
I don't know if I should update on my Facebook status or Twitter about a link to a video I posted on my blogger or wordpress from my iPod touch or laptop, or maybe I should just call or SMS or Facebook message or MSN or gtalk or email my friend about meeting tomorrow to tell them? Having too much choice is a blessing and a curse.


I came upon this some time ago, and it perfectly illustrates how I feel sometimes:

(That is why my very first link has to do with that topic. You can find it by clicking "Bibliography" from the Index of labels)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discuss but don't cuss!

Sindy Ng - SOSC 4330 Participative Communication - FW 08/09 - Communication Studies - York University